The 2010 Otter Season so far… 15 Jun 2010
I write this at the beginning of June. In spite of some miserable weather, not much sunshine and sometimes too much wind, the Otters are following their various programmes with enthusiasm and some real success.
- Seventeen new Oppie sailors have started on the pond this year.
- There are fifty Oppies on the river.
- Several are travelling to Squad training and open meetings.
- Four were selected for the East Zone team at the Eric Twiname Championships at Grafham
- Chay Taylor finished 27th, Kathryn Hutton-Penman 32nd, Arthur Brown 36th & Thomas Jayasekera 45th.
- At the Oppie Inlands out of a fleet of over 200 James Hutton-Penman was 19th & Thomas Johnson 21st.
- There is a fleet of ten Cadets with most travelling.
- Katie Barr & Scarlett Anderson have earned a place in team GBR for the Cadet Worlds in Poland in July.
- Nick Sutton finished tenth in the selector series crewed by Thomas Jayasekera & Chris Sycamore (not at the same time!).
- The six Toppers have been training most weekends.
- All participated in the RB Open in May with Harry Hinkins finishing a very creditable 7th on a very cold & wet day.
- The Laser sailors have been concentrating on their exams but we expect to see them on the river soon.
- June 12th, being the Queen’s birthday, is the Jubilee Pursuit race followed by camping for all in Janet & Eugene Quinlan’s field at Creeksea.
- Otter Week this year kicks off on July 31st with the usual fun sailing & social programme. In addition to the normal social events for Otters & parents, this year there will be a barn dance in the new boat shed.
- Other forthcoming events are the Cadet Open on June 19th & the Oppie Open on July 3rd & 4th.