RBYC wins the St Mathew Cup 2 Sep 2007
This team event, started in 1947, has an interesting history. During the Second World War, the entire Burnham waterfront was taken over by the Admiralty and known as HMS St Mathew. On departing, the naval personnel all subscribed to a splendid silver cup which was to be the prize for the successful club after team racing.
This year it was the turn of the Burnham Sailing Club to host the event. Alf Reynolds, the Race Officer, decided to make good use of the Hunter 707s, which had gathered for their National Championships during Burnham Week. He used eight boats which allowed each club to race a two-boat team. The weather helped; there was a steady westerly breeze which made it possible to start and finish from the BSC pontoon and race in the river between Fairway No.9 and No.13. That made for close racing and plenty of entertainment for the spectators.
The Royal Burnham Yacht Club Team was the clear winner with Nick Wood and Richard Barnes, Roger Martin and Nick Geaves taking turns to helm in Blowfish and Racehorse. Carol Noble, Burnham Mayor, presented the Cup at the prizewinner’s lunch.