The RCYC policy is to seek to continue to sail and/or trade within the government guidelines. At this stage we have made the following decisions:
1. The club house will not open to members this weekend. Unfortunately that means Friday night bistro and Mother’s Day lunch will not go ahead.
2. The new-look Fitting Out Supper and the Vice-Commodore’s 60th birthday party are postponed.
3. Otter sailing will go ahead if organised by the Otter Management Committee and the changing rooms will be open to support that.
No other decisions have been made about future events at this time, save for the RYA Discover Sailing weekend which has already been postponed by the RYA. Fortunately, the nature of sailing events and the weather is that we’re used to late cancellations and, sadly, cancelling now doesn’t allow you to make other arrangements….none of us are travelling anywhere!
As we all know, the situation changes on a daily basis and so we will update the membership on a weekly basis (and more often if needs be). We feel that, as a members club where the lifestyle of sailing brings us together, we should do whatever we can to keep our community together and support anyone facing difficulties.
To that end, we are currently investigating:
1. Whether we can provide a take-away service from Simon’s fantastic kitchen. We have the best food in town and many of us are keen to continue to enjoy it. (We have already received offers to help extend this to a delivery service). Dates and arrangements will be advised if we are able to make this available.
2. Whether we can provide normal club line racing.
3. Organising a buddy system so that any of our members who fall in the vulnerable category get some communication, friendship and support.
Clearly, the logistics of these activities need to be worked through and government advice might change further to inhibit this….but we will try.
The office will remain open (albeit that Kate, Marie and others may work from home allowing contact will be via email and telephone) and we are keen to hear from all members on any suggestions they may have in how we can come together over this period…without coming into contact. So please contact the office or any of the Flag Officers with these suggestions and we’ll consider them.
Many people have already stated that these are unprecedented times and we do hope that we as a club not only cope with them but respond so that we are much stronger when it passes… and it will pass.
RCYC Flag Officers